June 7, 2012
C.A.S.T. MOU announcement
1. MG Walsh, Deputy Commanding General for Civil and Emergency Operations, has signed the attached MOU which formalizes a national partnership with CAST (Catch a Special Thrill) for kids and wounded warriors. The USDA Forest Service, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, Bureau of Land Management, US Fish and Wildlife Service, Bureau of Reclamation, Bureau of Indian Education, Bureau of Indian Affairs, National Park Service, and the DOI Office of Youth, Partnerships and Service are also partners in the MOU.
2. This MOU will help develop and expand a framework of cooperation at the national, regional, and local levels for developing and implementing mutually beneficial programs, projects, and other activities in an outdoor recreation setting that service children and military service members with disabilities and/or disadvantages.
3. MSCs, districts, and projects are encouraged to work with CAST under the framework of the MOU to further promote Corps missions and recreation messages, while leveraging funding resources to engage youth and the military in the outdoors. CAST kids fishing events have already taken place or are planned for 2012 at four Corps lakes within SAM, NWK, SWL, and SWF, with an additional five Take a Warrior Fishing events in SPK, NWP, and SWD. We hope to expand this partnership even more in the future.
4. For more information about CAST, visit http://www.castforkids.org/. You can find information about the Take a Warrior Fishing program, Event Planning guide, and success stories on the Gateway at http://corpslakes.usace.army.mil/partners/national.cfm?Partner=cast.
5. A copy of this MOU has been posted on the Gateway with our other existing national MOUs at: http://corpslakes.usace.army.mil/employees/cecwon/mou.cfm
6. We ask that you forward this notification to your Districts and projects as appropriate.
7. Please feel free to contact Heather Burke at 503-808-4313 or Tim Toplisek at 202-761-4259 for more information about partnering with CAST.
Back to E-mails and Memos